So here’s the deal…
Now that I’m blogging for multiple sites, updates here are going to be very sporadic.
If you want to read my daily posts, please visit:
Of course, you’re welcome to keep visiting here because you like the banner links in the sidebar, lots of people do.
And for the record, I’m not saying that I’m never updating this site again, I’m just saying you probably shouldn’t come here for breaking news.
I never met Paul Tegtmeier but I remember him every year on 9/11.
I was first introduced to him in 2009 by Project 2,996 – a website that asks bloggers to create individual memorials to people who perished on 9/11.
Since then I’ve learned much more about Paul Tegtmeier and he has become one of my heroes.
From the New York Times in 2001…
After watching his number creep up the list of new hires for 20 years, Paul Tegtmeier finally got the call 18 months ago to become a New York City firefighter, at the age of 40. He quit his job as a field technician at Verizon and picked up his crisp uniform.
“He met the age cutoff, from the time that he applied,” said his wife, Catherine. , “His was the last class taken off that list. Firefighting was something he wanted to do since he was a toddler and he only wanted to do it in New York City.”
Mr. Tegtmeier, 41, a father of two, was on his way to Ladder Company 46 in the Bronx when the first plane struck 1 World Trade Center. Fire officials say that he likely reached the firehouse in time to join his colleagues as they rushed toward the twin towers, Mrs. Tegtmeier said. He loved firefighting, and was volunteer for more than 20 years at the Roosevelt, N.Y., Fire Department, where he met his wife, also a volunteer firefighter.
His 6-year-old son, Aric, lives very much in his parents’ image. A couple of days after the collapse, Aric pulled on his firefighting helmet, coat and boots and fought invisible fires on the front lawn with firefighters who came to mourn the loss of his dad.
You will never be forgotten, Paul.
It was Pronoun Problems Week at College Insurrection.
Cross posted at Legal Insurrection…
With all the problems facing higher education right now, why are pronouns such a hot issue?
- Gender Neutral Pronouns Come to Harvard
- U. of Tennessee Knoxville Wants Everyone Using ‘Gender Inclusive’ Pronouns
- Watch College Students React to Strange New Gender Pronouns
Pronouns aren’t the only troubling words.
- Washington State Students Told Not to Use Terms ‘Illegal Alien, Male and Female’
- Washington State Disavows Syllabus Which Bans Certain Words
- North Carolina State Women’s Studies Class Doesn’t Allow the Word ‘Mankind’
Statues are apparently also a big problem.
- Jefferson Davis Statue Removed From the University of Texas
- Stanford’s “Angel of Grief” Statue Vandalized as Arm is Cut Off
There is some push back.
- Students Boo Mandatory Diversity Class at University of Oklahoma
- Higher Education is No Place for Group Think
This week’s lesson from Prager University seems especially appropriate.
Some schools are having legal issues.
- Woman Sues Oregon State for Alleged Sex Assault Over Fifteen Years Ago
- Columbia in the Hot Seat Over Lawsuit From Student Accused by Mattress Girl
- Former Colgate University Student Sues After Being Expelled Due to Sex Misconduct Case
Compare and contrast.
- You Can Now Take a Course in Selfies at Indiana U. Northwest
- Increasing Number of College Students Are Using Marijuana Daily
Reminder: Higher education is controlled by liberals.
- Federal Reserve Study: College Degrees for Minorities No Guarantee of Raising Income
- SAT Scores Drop and Racial Gap Persists
The future is here.
- University in Maryland is Doing Away With Textbooks
- Harvard Business School Launches Virtual Classroom
When life gives you lemons…
He’ll probably fit right in.
No joke. While in the car today, I heard the following three songs on the radio. Not all on the same station, of course…
R.E.M. – Radio Free Europe
The Kinks – A Well Respected Man
Led Zeppelin – Battle of Evermore
If you read this blog, you know I’m a fan of horror films. This new movie The Witch blew away the Sundance Film Festival and is generating a lot of buzz among horror fans.
The basic storyline: In Massachusetts, years before the Salem Witch Trials, a family is exiled because the father is too pious for the Puritans. At their new homestead near a dark forest, their infant son goes missing, the eldest daughter is scapegoated and all Hell breaks loose.
The details of the story have been well guarded but I’ll tell you this: Unlike the Blair Witch Project, this movie has an actual witch. You can see her briefly at the end of the trailer.
According to the IMDB message boards, the ending of the movie is mind blowing.
I’ve watched the trailer like 30 times. It’s that good.
I just took a week off from blogging here. It’s the longest I’ve gone without blogging here in years.
As you may know, I’m doing a bit more blogging these days and August was a busy month.
I did some filling in at Legal Insurrection and College Insurrection, plus I’ve been adding more daily posts to Progressives Today.
As a result, my schedule has been pretty full.
Even so, I still plan to add new content here when I can, even if it’s just a post or two a day.
As always, thanks for reading and please visit the other sites I write for:
If this actually happens, three things will immediately become apparent.
1. Hillary Clinton is finished.
Progressive activists who make up the base of the Democratic Party will go nuts for this ticket. Hillary Clinton, who is already damaged goods, will lose tons of support.
2. Bernie who?
Bernie Sanders has been nothing more than a stand-in for Elizabeth Warren. If she’s in the running, 99 percent of the people who are flocking to Bernie Sanders rallies will drop him instantly and throw their support behind Warren. The Bernie Sanders campaign will become a speed bump in the road to 2016 overnight.
3. The media will have a collective orgasm.
If Biden and Warren run together, the media will revert to the cult-like coverage they gave to Obama in 2008. Biden’s gaffes will become endearing and folksy. Any mention of Warren’s lies about being a Native American will be declared racist and sexist.
You should read Professor Jacobson’s take on this at Legal Insurrection.
It was Sensitive Snowflakes Week at College Insurrection.
Cross posted at Legal Insurrection…
Imagine if we based free expression on logic instead of people’s feelings.
- Why Do College Kids Demand Censorship?
- Chapman University President Says ‘Free speech is not about being sensitive’
Maybe people wouldn’t freak out over little things.
- Alabama Sorority Video Attacked for Being Worse for Women Than Donald Trump
- Gorgeous Sorority Girls Frolicking in Bikinis Shouldn’t be a Problem in America
Really little things.
- Santa Clara University Students Told to Call 911 Over Incidents of Bias
- Henderson State University’s Ban on Saggy Pants is Called Racist
Schools are finding creative ways to deal with the higher ed bubble.
- Should This College Change its Name for $20 Million?
- Purdue University Suggests Selling Shares of Students’ Future Income
- Indiana University Scores $53 Million Deal with Adidas
Students are finding ways to cut costs too.
- This College Student is Living in a 96-Square-Foot Solar-Powered House
- Cost of Room and Board is Forcing Some California Students Off Campus
Dennis Prager is asking the important questions.
Compare and contrast.
- University of Alaska Has a Loophole for Proving Sexual Consent
- Felony Charges for U. Arkansas Student Who Made Up Sexual-Assault Claims
- Northwestern Dismisses Harassment Claim From Male Student
A mystery revealed.
Want to feel old?
- Beloit Releases Annual Mind-Set List of What Freshmen Know and Don’t Know
- Generation Gap: Incoming Freshman Haven’t Licked a Stamp
Presidential politics on campus.
- Should Donald Trump Release His College Transcripts?
- Hillary Clinton Thinks Online Learning Lacks Integrity
- Rand Paul Goes After the College Vote
Some students just don’t test well.
- Illinois Just Made it Easier for AP Test Takers to Receive College Credit
- California Students Who Didn’t Pass State Exit Exam Accepted to Colleges Anyway
Putting the high in higher education.
Ziggy Stardust 101.
Shaun King of the Daily Kos and #BlackLivesMatter is carrying on the proud Democrat tradition of misrepresenting one’s race for power and political gain.
Why not? Elizabeth Warren and Rachel Dolezal did it.
How bad has Hillary’s email scandal become? This bad.
Hillary thinks she’s such an inevitability for the Democratic nomination that she’s not even prepared for basic questions on the subject of her emails now that the media is finally taking real notice.
Ace has found himself beyond words over this.
Professor Jacobson of Legal Insurrection calls it “Bad. Really bad.”
I’m inclined to agree with Jazz Shaw…