Skip to content

Five Bloggers I’d Like To See On FOX News

December 7, 2012

This is a new post in an ongoing series about FOX News.

Previously:

The 5 Best Guest Hosts on FOX News

Five People FOX News Should Kick to the Curb

The Five Best Reporters on FOX News

FOX News features commentary from multiple news outlets on the air all the time but they’re a little short on conservative bloggers. Read below as I offer my two cents about who I’d like to see on the air and feel free to leave your suggestions in the comment section. Furthermore, if any of the bloggers I mention below have appeared on FOX News, please let me know.

Now, Five bloggers I’d like to see on FOX News…

5. Ed Morrissey

Hot Air is one of the best conservative blogs on the web and Ed Morrissey drives most of the content on the site. I’ve seen Hot Air cited on Special Report with Bret Baier but I’ve never seen Ed Morrissey offer commentary on camera. Mary Katherine Ham is frequently a guest on The O’Reilly Factor but she was making appearances on that show before she joined Hot Air. Ed Morrissey is an excellent blogger who always reports honestly and deals in facts. It would be great to see him offer his opinion on the air. I’d say the same thing about Allahpundit but I don’t think he does public appearances.

4. John Hinderaker

Powerline is a daily must-read blog for anyone who’s interested in American politics from a conservative perspective. John Hinderaker and his colleagues offer fact based analysis on taxes, policy, liberal media bias and much more. FOX News viewers would benefit from his take on national issues.

3. Ann Althouse

No one on the right side of the blogosphere covered the story of Scott Walker vs. the unions in Wisconsin more closely than Ann Althouse and yet I never saw her featured on FOX to report her first person observations. She had original videos, photos and interviews with people on the ground.

2. William Jacobson

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m a contributor at William Jacobson’s College Insurrection blog but I assure you that has no influence on what I’m about to say. In addition to offering excellent political analysis, William Jacobson’s Legal Insurrection blog has been a one stop shop for original investigative reports on Elizabeth Warren. In the lead up to the 2012 election, William Jacobson often did more original reporting in a day than the MSM did in a month. Why haven’t we seen him on FOX News?

1. Glenn Reynolds

There is simply no other conservative libertarian blogger who wields more influence than Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit. If you watch the prime time line-up on FOX News any given night and then read Instapundit, you will find that many of the stories featured on FOX were covered by Glenn earlier in the day. Why he is not a frequent featured guest on FOX News is an absolute mystery to me.

About these ads
39 Comments leave one →
  1. mike boylan permalink
    December 8, 2012 12:26 pm

5 great choices for sure. I’d also like to see Caroline Click, Victor Davis Hanson and Walter Russell Mead. I see Click as the most clear thinker on the Middle East, Hanson as the most scholarly (and most prolific in output) in his approach to our nation, and Mead as the writer with the best read and solutions to the daunting issues facing the blue state model.

2. December 8, 2012 1:27 pm

No one is more responsible for Obama II than Fox News and talk radio.

Ask yourselves how many times you heard the “Bush Recession” mentioned with no one correcting it. It was the “Fannie & Freddie Recession.” The conversation stops right there until that is corrected, I don’t care if David Gregory “doesn’t have time right now.” I’m telling you to do it.

This goes double for any elected Republican and the leaders of that joke of a half-awake party. No one should ever let that pass. Ever.

Instead, we get iced tea sweepstakes and questions about who “Velma from Winder” is dating. #stick2theissues.

• December 9, 2012 11:00 am

Ding, ding, ding. FOX News is partially owned by a Saudi prince (can you say “no anti-Muzz news?) Why the heck aren’t you suggesting new conservative (TV) voices for Blaze TV? That’s the ONLY conservative channel there is, but conservatives don’t watch it!

3. December 8, 2012 10:20 pm

“I kept going on and on about the importance of showing up, and that seems to have been what mattered. Why didn’t people show up?”– Glenn Reynolds

Very interesting. The winners of the internet’s conservative popularity contest – who also just happen to be the folks who led us into our current state of disarray – should now be featured bloggers on television? Well that’s some original thinking right there. What should I think it will accomplish? More of the same, maybe? Naw. Couldn’t be.

And what of the bloggers who warned us continually not to go down this road? What should happen to them? Clearly those level-headed types should continue to toil in obscurity, right? We don’t need anybody in touch with reality in conservative politics. That would ruin everything.

“Reading about some conservative organizations and Republican campaigns these days, one is reminded of Eric Hoffer’s remark, ‘Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.’”– Bill Kristol

And the only way to get out of this, quite naturally, is to hear more from the racketeers,…

• December 9, 2012 9:43 am

“The winners of the internet’s conservative popularity contest – who also just happen to be the folks who led us into our current state of disarray – ”

Crazy. It is in spite of Professor Reynolds et al’s herculean efforts that we are in this position and not because of. Professor Reynolds in particular was like a one-man army. How he stepped up to the plate and kept at it day in and day out is beyond me.

Where were you, Mr Dixon, and what contribution did you make?

• December 9, 2012 8:38 pm

My contribution was to say we never should’ve picked Romney to begin with. When the base tells you “anyone but Romney” – in no uncertain terms – you do not make him your nominee. And, if you do, you’ve “screwed the pooch” on your own. I like Prof. Jacobson as much as the next guy, even now, but let’s face it:

The people on your list led us into a disaster – not “in spite of” their efforts – but because of them.

And now is not the time to be doubling down on failure. If you dig yourself into a hole, you do not keep digging. You do not keep endorsing the people and ideas that led you astray. But right now that seems to be the only direction many conservatives think is worthwhile, and it’s sad. I ask you:

Have you seen a single article, commentator, or blog post dedicated to talking to those who didn’t go along?

I haven’t. And why not? I’d say it’s simply out of arrogance. But not being to admit when you’re wrong is no answer to that. The Republicans made a major misjudgment, and I see them continuing to do so, like this suggestion that what we need more of is input from those so out of touch they didn’t see disaster looming to begin with. Long story-short:

This is no way to regain credibility with those on your team whose votes you abandoned.

• Habbbgun permalink
      December 9, 2012 12:13 pm

Are you really trying to say these bloggers have the reach of O’Reilly, Hannity, Levin, Limbaugh, Ingraham and the rest? If you believe they have that kind of power you must believe that Hannity could snap his fingers and elect the president. O’Reilly could just go am I right and a lightning display that says you sure are Bill will break out. Yes, even blogging is becoming a closed shop and you could open up a blog make an accurate prediction a day that no one else does and if you don’t have a PHD in something and meet these people at university paid conferences you’ll never be heard but they are tons better than the Fox closed shop. We’ve got to start somewhere or else we’ll only get heard when we riot. And conservatives never riot.

• Qwinn permalink
      December 9, 2012 2:37 pm

Louis, that is nonsense. If most of the bloggers had their way, the conservative nominee would’ve been Fred Thompson. It’s because they *weren’t* listened to, even by Fox (and isn’t that the point of this article) that we got stuck with McCain… Because, hilariously, he apparently had more of that critically vital “fire in the belly”. Glad that worked out.

• December 9, 2012 9:13 pm

I’m not saying to follow bloggers – I’m saying to follow ideas. Who actually has them and what will work. You guys are touting a popularity contest, which is no more realistic, politically, than picking lots.

Glenn Reynolds has famously said one thing he likes about being a law professor is he can throw ideas out there without caring if they’re any good. Well (based on all the endorsements here) while that may be a winning strategy for running a blog, it’s crap in the political arena.

But few of you see that. You want Reynolds because he’s popular – not because he’s right. You want Ann Althouse for the same reason (a blogger who has been wrong so often she’s turned the phrase “And you a law professor!” into a joke whenever her commenters throw it at her) yet both of them are so wrong, on so many issues, and so often, I’m flabbergasted they’re professors at all. My respect for the profession has definitely gone down since my exposure to it through the work of these individuals.

We are adults engaged in politics, not children voting for prom king. Popularity means nothing to me. Who understands conservatism, can articulate it, and will stand for it are all that matters – and that wasn’t Mitt Romney.

Sorry, but no one on this list comprehended that, and so – with the possible exception of Prof. Jacobson – they are unworthy of further elevation.

• December 9, 2012 2:49 pm

Aw, whazza matter, crack? Doesn’t anyone listen to you on your own blog?

The point the Glob makes about Althouse – who, of course, was so dyed-in-the-wool red-blooded right-wing conservative that she voted for Obama – is valid: As a Professor at UWM she was right there while the Leftists were making fools of themselves in Madison, and she did in fact have video, audio, and actually “newsworthy” stuff, yet she was ignored.

And which “folks … led us into our current state of disarray” among those listed here? Y’know, just because you disagree with someone doesn’t make them wrong.…

Besides, Reynolds probably has more viewers with Instavision alone than he’d get on Fox News; but, give him a bit more time to polish his act, and he’ll become a Fox News regular … and you’ll still be spewing frustration and hate into empty space.…

• December 9, 2012 8:48 pm

Ann Althouse is frivolous – that’s why, even with her work during the Scott Walker debacle, there wasn’t much for her to contribute. She has no ideological through-line guiding her. She’s not a conservative. She’s not even a moderate. She’s Annie Hall, saying “La-Dee-Dah” whenever it suits her.

The folks that “led us into our current state of disarray” endorsed Romney, insisted when didn’t need to vet him, and never gave a damn about his negatives – their interest was on one thing:

Getting rid of Obama – not providing a viable alternative.

I said, many times, you can’t run a candidate on a single issue (the economy) when the presidency is so much more. Nobody cared (especially on the Althouse blog – so why bring Ann Althouse up now?) and few can admit their own political failure in that regard.

It doesn’t matter how many viewers Ann Althouse, Glenn Reynolds, or anyone else has. What matters is if they’re right and if we win. If they aren’t, and if we don’t, their perspectives are worthless. And that’s exactly where you are now:

Following a bunch of pied pipers to nowhere,…

• December 9, 2012 9:45 pm

I’m sorry: Who, of the five bloggers listed, “endorsed Romney”, until the point when there were no other Republicans running?

And “insisted [we] didn’t need to vet him”? I must have imagined all those conservatives complaining that Romney Wasn’t Conservative; y’know, the same ones who wondered how “Romneycare” was going to look Conservative compared to Obamacare.

Next you’ll be blaming Tea Partiers and Libertarians for the Establicans forcing anyone remotely Conservative off of the various House Committees: You’re blaming the WRONG PEOPLE for “following” the Squishy Stupidity of the Political Power Players; we need to get rid of John Boehner more than we need to get rid of Obama.

… What that has to do with which bloggers we’re listening to, is anybody’s guess; but, do keep spouting your Perfect Ideology there, crack; people aren’t going to “follow” you here any more than they do at Althouse’s blog.…

4. Georgia permalink
    December 9, 2012 6:16 am

Simple – Conservatives need Conservative-owned and operated media that is not beholden to liberals, democrats or RINOs in any way, shape, form or fashion.

5. J Chambers permalink
    December 9, 2012 8:57 am

Bill Whittle – does video blogging qualify?

• challeron permalink
      December 9, 2012 7:11 pm

Heh; Whittle is running his “virtual Presidency” at the moment: Wouldn’t appearances on mere Media Programs be beneath his virtual dignity?

6. December 9, 2012 9:21 am

As other do, you ignore Jeff from “Protean” …

7. December 9, 2012 9:38 am

If I can make a suggestion, it would be this one: http://tireironscorner.blogspot.com/

You can see a video of him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVRGHZvAIRQ&feature=youtu.be

8. Jaynie59 permalink
    December 9, 2012 10:03 am

I’d like to see a list of conservative bloggers that actually had a conservative on it.

9. Eric R. permalink
    December 9, 2012 11:17 am

Althouse has been on Fox at least once. IIRC, she knows Greta personally.

Morrissey has I think been on CNN a couple of times, oddly enough.

The blogfather was on CNN long ago, to chide them over caving on the Muhammad cartoons. He hasn’t been invited since.

Hinderaker was once invited on O’Reilly; Scott Johnson had to sub for him at the last minute. O’Reilly actually did not treat him all that nicely, if I recall.

10. pete belson permalink
    December 9, 2012 11:22 am

I stopped watching Special Report after the election. Bret Baier and Brit Hume are particularly competent. The patent lunacy and demeaning rhetoric (not to mention the laughable facial expressions of disagreement) of Juan Williams and rote party-line of Mara L. finally got to be too much crap to waste time on. Steve Hayes, Krauthammer both appear on Dennis Miller enough for me to keep up with their thoughts. Goldberg is brilliant and appears elsewhere frequently. I have followed all five of these blogs for quite a few years and consider them my morning paper with my coffee. Fox News jeopardizes its own relevancy by not keeping up with the times; and the times changed for me to these excellent bloggers years ago.

• December 9, 2012 6:16 pm

Bret Baier is the best reporter and host on Fox. There is little reason to watch any of the rest of them.

Greg Gutfeld is good, but the Five is tiresome.

11. pete belson permalink
    December 9, 2012 11:37 am

Follow-up: I do think Fox News give a voice to different sides in the interest of encouraging perspective; I do not think Liasson and Williams do this with any measure or concern toward honesty. In contrast, Kirsten Powers is brilliant and honest. Susan Estrich grates vocally but is very much her own person. Victor Davis Hanson should get his own show on any subject and in whatever format he wants.

Its not the politics or the opinion (every one is entitled to their own) as much as it is the competence and integrity (not everyone can achieve let alone maintain this) that should be the baseline.

I think the election was the defining election of our times. I now consider time wasted listening to tools like Liasson and Williams more important than ever as our society gears down to where it is inevitable slipping. Blogs provide news and perspective, and a format in the internet where you can then research for yourself what is what. These bloggers are the only true journalists left; most everyone seems bent on posturing themselves for that golden invite to the DC cocktail party circuit.

12. December 9, 2012 12:05 pm

Some of my favourite people … Thanks to them all for their interesting and provocative blogging. Cheers.

13. fustian24 permalink
    December 9, 2012 12:17 pm

I’m huge fans of 4 of the 5 bloggers mentioned above, and the other one I’m not familiar with.

But.

Blogs and TV require two different skill sets. Don’t underestimate how difficult it is to be an effective communicator on television.

Case in point, the BlogFather himself. I cannot get enough of the Instapundit web page. It’s up most of my day and I check it obsessively.

Yet I rarely tune in to his video broadcasts nor those of his lovely wife. Not sure why exactly.

It might be that in the “frame” of Fox, they would be more interesting than they are in their own broadcasts which are fairly short on production values.

Someone that figured out how to do it is Mary Katherine Ham. Not so great originally, but she really kept at it and is now eminently watchable.

14. Jane permalink
    December 9, 2012 1:15 pm

I agree that Fox should have Professor Jacobson on their shows. He put the mainstream Boston media to shame.

15. December 9, 2012 3:07 pm

That you left Ace of Ace of Spades off is baffling. I think Greg Gutfield reads AoS for his material

• December 9, 2012 4:27 pm

Ace is like Allahpundit, he doesn’t do public appearances.

16. orson2 permalink
    December 9, 2012 5:14 pm

Another utterly neglected nominee – Pat Santy, MD, who blogs on BDS and cultural politics from a clinical psychiatric perspective as “drsanity” (and a retired University of Michigan Medical School clinical psychiatry prof – although married to a liberal Democrat).

For ten years, she’s THE best guide to understanding the delusional and dysfunctional Left, as well as the struggle for realism against the establishment – despite manifold handicaps – of the Right.

17. Ten permalink
    December 9, 2012 5:34 pm

Ann Althouse?! And where is Protein Wisdom’s Goldstein?

18. John Chittick permalink
    December 9, 2012 6:13 pm

I can’t disagree with your curbside list. I find the need to have a token “liberal “/ statist annoying as the robotic distractions, interruptions and noise takes precious time away from people who have something to say. The Five is, in my opinion, un-watchable thanks to the chill cast over the atmosphere from the arrogant, bigoted, blowhard, Bob Beckel. At least, they could try using a “liberal” with manners.

Fox’s contrived efforts of “fair and balanced” should be discarded in exchange for simple honesty. Compromise of conservative or libertarian principles with statism in the name of balance is no different than adding dog shit to a milkshake and expecting it to continue to taste like a milkshake.

O’Rielly’s authoritarianism is a major turn-off. The way he treats Stossel is criminal. I pretty much prefer any guest host to Bill.

Shep is pretty much a male bimbo and Cavuto is another annoying interviewer who takes it upon himself to cut off interviewees in the rudest manner so that Neill can do a poor contrived job of taking the “liberal” position thus shortening the time for more valuable comment. Much of Cavuto’s show time, I spend watching Maria Barturomo on CNBC’s Closing Bell. Not only is she hot, she is a much better interviewer.

19. December 9, 2012 6:15 pm

Ace of Spades and some of his co-bloggers top my list.

Link to his site in my signature.

20. Carsie Young permalink
    December 9, 2012 7:43 pm

VDH would be great, as would Bill Whittle of PJ Media. Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit is a gem for sure.

21. windbag permalink
    December 9, 2012 8:33 pm

Althouse is not conservative. Morrissey is the weakest member of Hot Air’s writers. The rest I agree with.

22. December 10, 2012 8:08 am

Damn….didn’t make the cut again….(sigh)

Trackbacks

1. Instapundit » Blog Archive » WELL, I TAPED A STOSSEL APPEARANCE LAST WEEK: Five Bloggers I’d Like To See On FOX News. But it …
  2. » Moi aussi? - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion