Skip to content

S.E. Cupp Drops Out Of CPAC For GOProud

February 28, 2013

Good for her.

No one is asking social conservatives to leave the Republican Party or abandon their values but if we truly want a bigger tent, gay conservatives deserve a place at the table…

Conservative political commentator S.E. Cupp announced Tuesday that she is declining her invitation to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference until it allows groups that advocate for gay marriage.

“I go to CPAC every year. I love speaking there. It’s a great opportunity for conservatives, young and old from all over the world, to get together and sort of touch base,” Ms. Cupp said on MSNBC’s “The Cycle.”

Prominent groups that represent gay Republicans such as GOProud and the Log Cabin Republicans are permitted to attend the event, but not to sponsor it.

“I’ve been thinking about this a lot, and I know a lot of people on my side of the aisle have been struggling with this for some time now too,” she added. “I’ve been scheduled to speak at CPAC this year, and I don’t think I can until this issue is reconciled and figured out.”

Even Dick Cheney supports gay marriage.

How does a little more libertarianism hurt the GOP?

Answer: It doesn’t.

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. DaveP. permalink
    February 28, 2013 5:27 am

…who, now? I thought you meant someone important.

2. WarEagle82 permalink
    February 28, 2013 7:29 am

Frankly, I don’t see how CPAC is “conservative” any longer. Nor do I see how it is relevant either. I am a staunch Conservative and I have NEVER attended and don’t even bother to read about it during the meeting. It has become just more kabuki theatre…

3. February 28, 2013 10:34 am

There is this ginormous bale of hay called Civil Society. Its supported by a camel named Marriage. Then there are these unimaginative sorts who say ‘lets toss another piece of straw on the camel’s back, surely it won’t hurt.’

Now I wasn’t aware that American marriage was in such wonderful condition that mad scientst experiments with it were in order.

4. southernsue permalink
    February 28, 2013 11:35 am

repubs need to stress that they represent all Americans!
    this homo and lezzy thing is for GOD to decide, not man!

5. WMB permalink
    February 28, 2013 12:24 pm

S.E., get over yourself. A true Libertarian would not look to the government for vindication of their sexual predilection. The government should not be involved at all but rather marriage should be seen as a social/religious concept. People should recognize marriage as part of their faith, not forced to acknowledge it by the government.

6. February 28, 2013 12:25 pm

The traditional family is the cornerstone of civilization. There is nothing more central to conservatism than this. You can’t support “gay marriage” and call yourself a conservative. Call yourself a Republican for whatever that’s worth because the GOP died in 2006. How does it hurt the GOP? You can’t hurt the dead.

7. westie permalink
    February 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Hopefully she will still send her life size naked cardboard cutout to CPAC. That will help in her absence.

8. February 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Rather presumptious of S.E. to think anyone really cares about whether she’s there or not. No one will notice or care.